Leftover Mac and Cheese Soup
Got mac and cheese leftover from Thanksgiving?
Bring your side dish back to life by serving it in a whole new way and free up some space in the fridge while you’re at it.
Note: This recipe calls for Cheddar cheese because that is the type of mac and cheese I was working with today. If your is made with, say, Gouda (yum!) then use Gouda. You get the idea.
Our favorite Mac & Cheese recipe:
Easy Creamy Vegan Mac & Cheese – What I like about this mac & cheese: Two things – the simplicity and the taste!
Only five ingredients and it’s got all the creamy cheesiness you know and love.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetarian chicken broth
- 1/4 cup yellow onion diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 oz. cream cheese cubed and softened
- 2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese grated
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 6 cups prepared mac and cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- cayenne pepper sauce to taste
- Melt butter in a large pot, over Medium High heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking an additional 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add flour and whisk mixture until thickened into a roux. Add broth one cup at a time, whisking to fully incorporate after each addition. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to Low.
- Gradually stir in cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and half-and-half. Continue stirring frequently until cheeses are melted.
- Add the mac and cheese. Stir to combine and heat through. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper sauce. Serve warm.