So simple, fast, delicious, and loaded with fresh flavors, this marinara sauce is perfect for quick and easy pasta dinners, as a zesty pizza sauce, even as a dip for mozzarella sticks and garlic bread.
Every home cook should have a few classic sauce recipes in their back pocket and this one has become a personal favorite because:
- Only a handful of simple ingredients are needed
- Ready to go in about 15 minutes
- Knocks the socks off store bought marinara any day
I like to use crushed tomatoes from a can to save time but if you’ve got a bounty in your garden that needs to be used up, this is a great way to do it. Plus, we didn’t plant tomatoes this year but I do have tons of basil and I love the fresh kick it adds to this marinara.
A few other saucy favorites to try:
Easy Vegan Hollandaise Sauce – This sauce is absolutely decadent and the flavor is exactly what you remember of the egg-based version!
5 – Ingredient Vegan Tzatziki Sauce – Perfect for adding a Mediterrranean flair to fresh vegetables and pita bread, as a condiment to your sandwiches and wraps, and drizzled over falafel, kabobs, burgers, and even as a dressing for salads.
Green Chile Cheesy Sauce – A super versatile sauce we especially enjoy as a dip with tortilla chips or poured over a pile of nachos.
Easy Classic Marinara Sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/4 cup yellow onion finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 28- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes to taste
- Into a medium saucepan over medium heat, add butter. When butter is melted, add onions. Sautés 2 minutes, until onions are softened.
- Add salt and oregano. Continue cooking 2 minutes more, stirring frequently, until onions are just beginning to turn golden in color.
- Add garlic and sauce for 1 minute.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes and add sugar. Increase heat to medium high for 1-2 minutes, just enough to heat through. Reduce heat back down to low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat then stir in olive oil and basil.
- Use salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to adjust seasoning to taste.