Vegan Campfire Chili
This easy to make chili packs a hearty and spicy punch that is sure to warm you up on a cool night!
The name “Campfire Chili” actually came about because my original plan was to serve it for dinner while we were camping recently but… rainy weather cut our stay short and we ended up coming home early.
On a more positive note, dinner was already prepped and ready to go!
This recipe calls for a chili seasoning mix, which should be readily available in most supermarkets but I prefer making my own. The quantities here will give you enough for around five batches of chili:
Homemade Chili Seasoning
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
To a small mixing bowl, add all ingredients and stir well.
Store extra seasoning in an airtight container.
Ingredients for Vegan Campfire Chili:
- vegan ground beef substitute
- yellow onion
- tomato sauce
- dark red kidney beans
- fresh salsa
- chili seasoning
- ground black pepper
- garlic salt
How to make Vegan Campfire Chili:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef substitute
- 1/4 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 15 ounces canned dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- 2 tablespoons chili seasoning see recipe in post, above
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- To a large saucepan over medium high heat, add olive oil. When oil is hot, add vegan beef crumbles and yellow onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until crumbles are heated through and onion is softened and fragrant.
- Add dark red kidney beans, tomato sauce, fresh salsa, chili seasoning mix, ground black pepper, and garlic salt. Stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover pot and simmer 1 hour. Serve warm.