The Six Million Dollar Tofu “Egg” Salad
I recently received a complimentary advance copy of Annie and Dan Shannon’s (www.meettheshannons.com) latest cookbook creation – Mastering the Art of Vegan Cooking (in stores next week!) and the first recipe I tried out of this beautiful book was The Six Million Dollar Tofu “Egg” Salad.
I admit it, the catchy title is what drew me in and there’s a cute story that goes along with it. Also, right there next to the recipe is a nifty little trick for making tofu less mushy and more scrambled egg-like in texture by freezing it first. Who knew? Well, lots of people – apparently – since this is actually a tried and true technique but it was news to me – and it worked!
I made the salad yesterday and, at the husband’s request, served it over toast for dinner tonight. A side of fresh fruit rounded out this delicious, and surprisingly filling, meal. My husband even wrapped up the leftovers and took them for sandwiches at work today.
Note that this is one of those dishes that gets better the longer it sits in the fridge. They say to allow three hours but I would use that as a minimum time. It’s definitely tasty after a few hours but I’m convinced something magical happens overnight so this is a great make-ahead meal option. I added a little salt and pepper at the end and a touch more dill. Tasty, solid recipe and one I will definitely make again.
The Six Million Dollar Tofu "Egg" Salad
- 1 16-oz. pkg. extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise recommend Vegenaise or Just Mayo
- 2 medium dill pickles diced
- 1/4 cup chopped kale leaves
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 red onion diced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- toast for serving
- In a large bowl, use a fork to gently mash the tofu into bite-size pieces - not into a paste.
- Using a large spoon, stir in the mayo, pickles, kale, celery, dill, and red onion.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the mustard, nutritional yeast, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric, celery seed, tahini, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Add the mustard mixture to the tofu mixture and stir gently to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate 3 hours. Serve with toast.