The Six Million Dollar Tofu “Egg” Salad
I recently received a complimentary advance copy of Annie and Dan Shannon’s latest cookbook creation – Mastering the Art of Vegan Cooking (in stores next week!) and the first recipe I tried out of this beautiful book was The Six Million Dollar Tofu “Egg” Salad.
I admit it, the catchy title is what drew me in and there’s a cute story that goes along with it. Also, right there next to the recipe is a nifty little trick for making tofu less mushy and more scrambled egg-like in texture by freezing it first.
Well, lots of people – apparently – since this is actually a tried and true technique but it was news to me – and it worked!
I made the salad yesterday and, at the husband’s request, served it over toast for dinner tonight. A side of fresh fruit rounded out this delicious and surprisingly
Note: This is one of those dishes that gets better the longer it sits in the fridge. They say to allow three hours but I would use that as a minimum time. It’s definitely tasty after a few hours but I’m convinced something magical happens overnight so this is a great make-ahead meal option. I added a little salt and pepper at the end and a touch more dill.
Tasty, solid recipe and one I will definitely make again.
This is the preparation method as it appears in Mastering the Art of Vegan Cooking.
Ingredients Needed for The Six-Million Dollar Tofu “Egg” Salad:
- Extra-firm tofu
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Dill pickles
- Fresh kale
- Fresh dill
- Red onion
- Dijon mustard
- Nutritional yeast
- Ground cumin
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Ground turmeric
- Celery seed
- Lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Sandwich bread – serving suggestion
How to make The Six-Million Dollar Tofu “Egg”: Salad:
The Six Million Dollar Tofu "Egg" Salad
- 1 16-oz. pkg. extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise recommend Vegenaise or Just Mayo
- 2 medium dill pickles diced
- 1/4 cup chopped kale leaves
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 red onion diced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- toast for serving
- In a large bowl, use a fork to gently mash the tofu into bite-size pieces - not into a paste.
- Using a large spoon, stir in the mayo, pickles, kale, celery, dill, and red onion.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the mustard, nutritional yeast, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric, celery seed, tahini, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Add the mustard mixture to the tofu mixture and stir gently to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate 3 hours. Serve with toast.