Sweet Corn Casserole ~
Sweet and creamy corn casserole is easy to make with simple ingredients.
This Southern-style classic side dish is perfect for special occasions or a holiday dinner!
Easy Corn Casserole Recipe
Sweet and cheesy corn casserole, also known as cornbread pudding, is a sweet-but-not-too-sweet and creamy spoon bread casserole is a holiday staple that offers a nice balance to more savory dishes on the dinner table. For Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner, especially where I grew up in the Southern part of the U.S., cornbread casserole ranks right up there with Green Bean Casserole and Cranberry Sauce as a staple side dish for the holiday meal.
The Jiffy corn casserole recipe has been around forever, and for good reason – it’s an easy recipe and simple to customize with plant-based ingredients. All you need is a box of Jiffy cornbread mix, a couple cans of corn, sour cream, and cheddar cheese. Five minutes of prep and your new family favorite side dish is ready to go in the oven. (See the recipe card for step-by-step instructions.)
Ingredients for Sweet Corn Casserole
You will need the following:
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet cream-style corn
- 1 1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (8.5-ounce) package vegetarian Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 tablespoons scallions, chopped, optional for garnish
- Whole Kernel Corn – Canned, fresh corn, or frozen corn that has been thawed all work for this recipe.
- Sweet Cream Style Corn – The name can be misleading; cream-style corn is dairy-free.
- Vegetarian Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix – The Jiffy brand now makes a vegetarian version of their mix, and the best part is that it also happens to be vegan. Will another brand of corn muffin mix work for this recipe? Yes, I just happen to prefer this one for convenience; an 8.5-ounce box of Jiffy corn muffin mix is the exact amount needed for this recipe.
- Vegan Sour Cream – An essential ingredient for achieving the custard-like consistency characteristic of sweet corn casserole/cornbread pudding.
- Vegan Butter – Butter should be melted but not super hot.
- Scallion – Also known as green onion, scallions are used strictly as a garnish to add an extra little bit of color to this monochrome dish.
How to Make Sweet Corn Casserole
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
STEP TWO: In a large bowl, stir together both cans of corn, cheddar cheese, corn muffin mix, sour cream, and butter.
STEP THREE: Pour into the prepared casserole dish and use a spatula to smooth the top.
STEP FOUR: Bake for 45 minutes, until the casserole is puffed and golden brown around the edges. Let stand for 10 minutes to set slightly, then serve hot.
Leftover corn casserole should be brought to room temperature then stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
More Recipes You’ll Love!
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Corn
- Easy Vegan Sausage Stuffing
- No-Mushroom Green Bean Casserole
- Cream Cheese and Olive Stuffed Celery
- Vegan Cornbread Dressing
Sweet Corn Casserole
- 1 15-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 15-ounce can sweet cream-style corn
- 1 1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 8.5-ounce package vegetarian Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/4 cup vegan butter melted
- 1 tablespoons scallions chopped, optional for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together both cans of corn, cheddar cheese, corn muffin mix, sour cream, and butter.
- Pour into the prepared casserole dish and use a spatula to smooth the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until the casserole is puffed and golden brown around the edges. Let stand for 10 minutes to set slightly, then serve hot.