Vegan Risotto with Mushrooms and Kale
I love the idea of supporting small, local farms. So, with that in mind, we recently began subscribing to regular delivery of CSA boxes.
Our first box arrived last week and in it was an ingredient I was unfamiliar with – red Russian kale.
This variety looks and cooks like regular kale but the flavor is less bitter, so it’s even tasty raw in a salad. I did use the Russian kale in this risotto but also think whichever variety you have on hand would work fine.
Some say risotto is a fussy and complicated dish to make well but I disagree.
The trick is to not get in a hurry.
When you pour in the broth towards the end, don’t rush it!
Too much liquid at once will result in a sloppy mess but a more gradual approach, allowing the broth plenty of time to absorb into the rice will yield a delicious meal you’ll be proud to serve anytime.
For a simple salad: toss 3 cups kale with a touch of olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese. Allow to sit at room temp. while you make the risotto.
Ingredients for Vegan Risotto with Mushrooms and Kale:
1 1/2 tablespoon vegan butter
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup cremini mushrooms, stems removed & chopped
2 cups kale, stems removed & rough chopped
1 tablespoon shallot, minced
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 cup Arborio rice
1/3 cup white wine
1/3 cup vegan Parmesan cheese, shredded
sea salt & ground black pepper, to taste
How to make Vegan Risotto with Mushrooms and Kale:
Melt butter a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, kale, and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, 3-5 minutes or until softened and fragrant.
Stir in the minced shallot and rice; cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
Add white wine and gently stir until majority of liquid is reduced.
Gradually add broth, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring until absorbed after each addition.
Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Let stand a few minutes before serving warm.
Easy Vegan Parmesan Risotto – A quick and easy comfort food classic that you can have on the table in under 30 minutes!
Vegan Smoked Gouda Risotto with Spinach and Mushrooms – Rich, creamy, smoky, and beautiful spinach risotto topped with herbed mushrooms and parmesan.
- 1 1/2 T butter
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms stems removed & chopped
- 2 cups kale stems removed & rough chopped
- 1 T shallot minced
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 3/4 cup Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- Melt butter a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, kale, and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, 3-5 minutes or until softened and fragrant.
- Stir in the minced shallot and rice; cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add white wine and gently stir until majority of liquid is reduced.
- Gradually add broth, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring until absorbed after each addition.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Let stand a few minutes before serving warm.