Lemon Orzo and Rice Pilaf – Orzo pasta and rice simmered in a lemon and dill-seasoned broth and topped with fresh parsley.
This quick and easy recipe begins with cooking the orzo, rice, and garlic together, then adding the broth. As it simmers, your kitchen will be filled with the absolutely delicious aroma of lemon and dill.
We enjoyed this dish with Greek tofu kabobs and I think it would also pair well with spanakopita or these Easy Cauliflower Steaks.
For the Greek tofu kabobs:
Drain a block of extra firm tofu and slice into 1″ pieces.
Then marinate in Greek Vinaigrette (I used about half a bottle of store bought dressing; worked great!) for about an hour.
Thread tofu onto skewers and put them on a grill, turning to grill each side evenly and basting with additional vinaigrette.
Lemon Orzo and Rice Pilaf
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 cups long grain white rice rinsed
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 2 cups vegan chicken broth
- 2 lemons juiced (or 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Into a large sauce pan over medium heat, add olive oil. When oil is hot, add onion. Cook 3-5 minutes, until softened.
- Add rice, orzo, and garlic. Cook 2 minute, until orzo is lightly golden in color, stirring to coat thoroughly.
- Pour in broth, lemon juice, and dill. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, until rice is cooked through.
- Remove from heat. Adjust seasoning to taste and gently stir in parsley.