Vegan Eggplant Parmesan ~
The classic Italian favorite made with dairy-free ingredients!
Fresh eggplant gets coated in Panko breadcrumbs, smothered in homemade sauce, and topped with two kinds of vegan cheese for an easy and tasty comfort food dinner.
Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as a side dish.
Round out the meal with Garlic Spaghetti and a simple green salad.
Ingredients for Vegan Eggplant Parmesan
Can I Double This Recipe?
Yes! All you need is twice the ingredient amounts and a larger baking dish – 9×13-inch works well. The oven temperatures and cooking times remain the same.
How to Make Vegan Eggplant Parmesan
More Vegan Italian Recipes You’ll Love!
Vegan Eggplant Parmesan
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning divided
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 medium eggplant sliced into 4 rounds, 1/2-inch thick each
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella shredded
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan shredded
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray an 8×8-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Brush eggplant rounds with olive oil. Press each into the breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat. Into the prepared baking dish, arrange eggplant in a single layer. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside. Reduce the oven’s tempereature to 375°F.
- While the eggplant is baking, prepare the sauce. In a small saucepan over medium high heat, whisk together the tomato paste and water. Add the remaining 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Over each eggplant round, spoon an equal amount of sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Return to the reduced temperature oven to continue baking for an additional 15 minutes, until mozzarella cheese is melted then serve hot.