Tortellini and Spinach en Brodo
I don’t know what it is but there’s just something about a rainy day that calls for soup night and this one is an easy favorite in our house.
En brodo sounds fancy but it’s really just Italian for “in broth.”
This is a warm, comforting, classic Italian soup that is traditionally served as a first course at Christmastime but also makes for a simple and satisfying meal on its own any time of year.
You’ll only need about 30 minutes start to finish and other than a soup pot, the only other piece of kitchen equipment you’ll need is either an immersion blender or a high power blender with a glass jar.
More soup recipe to try:
Vegan Ginger Noodle Soup – Warm and comforting, this satisfying soup is ready to serve in under an hour.
Wild Rice & Garbanzo Bean Soup – a rainy day favorite!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1/3 cup celery chopped
- 1/3 cup carrots chopped
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cups vegan chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 9 ounces fresh vegan cheese tortellini
- 2 cups baby spinach rough chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan + extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- red pepper flakes to taste
- Into a large saucepan over medium high heat, add olive oil. When oil is hot, add onion, celery, and carrots. Sauté 3 minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic and Italian seasoning. Continue cooking 1 minute.
- Pour in vegan chicken broth and water. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Place an immersion blender in the pot (or pour into a stand blender) and blend until vegetables are pureed.
- Add tortellini and cook 5 minutes, or until al dente.
- Stir in spinach and parmesan. Cook just until spinach is wilted.
- Ladle into soup bowls, sprinkle with additional parmesan, parsley, and red pepper flakes. Serve hot.