Italian Style Stuffed Peppers with Spinach and Mushrooms
I have memories of stuffed peppers being on regular rotation in my house as a kid. These, thankfully, are not the stuffed peppers of my childhood though – loaded with rice, ground beef, and spaghetti sauce.
Today, I present to you a significant upgrade to those old school stuffed peppers.
Here, we’re keeping the rice but replacing the ground beef with hearty mushrooms and throwing in some spinach just for fun.
Italian-seasoned Panko bread crumbs add a satisfying crunch and the vegan mozzarella cheese adds the ….well, it adds the cheesiness.
These were inhaled by my family in record time.
Note that this recipe includes pre-cooked rice and prepared marinara sauce! IF you’re feeling fancy and want to make your own, go for it!
Here’s a recipe for a quick and easy homemade sauce:
- Only a handful of simple ingredients are needed
- Ready to go in about 15 minutes
- Knocks the socks off store bought marinara any day
Ingredients for Italian Style Stuffed Peppers:
- olive oil
- cremini mushrooms
- baby spinach leaves
- marinara sauce
- long-grain white rice
- vegan mozzarella cheese
- Italian-seasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- green bell peppers
- Italian-flat-leaf parsley
How to make Italian Style Stuffed Peppers:
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup shallot chopped
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms rough chopped
- 8 oz. baby spinach leaves rough chopped
- 2 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice cooked
- 1 1/2 cups vegan mozzarella cheese shredded
- 3 tablespoons Italian-seasoned Panko bread crumbs
- 4 medium bell peppers tops cut off, seeds and membranes removed
- fresh parsley optional, for garnish
- Note that this recipe includes pre-cooked rice!
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently 2-3 minutes, until vegetables are softened and fragrant. Add spinach and continue cooking another 1-2 minutes, until spinach is wilted.
- Add marinara sauce and pre-cooked rice, stirring gently to combine.
- Remove from heat. Fold in Panko bread crumbs and cheese.
- Fill each hollowed out bell pepper with rice mixture and place in prepared baking dish. Top with additional cheese, if desired.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes.
- Top with extra breadcrumbs and a sprinkling of parsley. Serve warm.