Simple and Savory Vegan Chickpea Salad –
An easy and delicious make-ahead salad and sandwich filling, perfect for lunch or a light dinner.
Made with chickpeas, celery, onion, lemon juice, and simple spices, this quick, no-fuss salad is ready to serve in minutes!
Why you will love this recipe:
- easy to make
- high in protein and fiber
- requires only a few ingredients
- great for meal prep
- can easily be doubled or tripled
- perfect for picnics
- keeps well in the fridge for up to 3 days
How to eat Chickpea Salad:
- as a sandwich filling
- spread over toast
- as a dip with crackers or fresh vegetables
- over a bed of lettuce or kale
Ingredients needed for Chickpea Salad:
- canned chickpeas – also known as garbanzo beans
- red onion – yellow onion also works well
- vegan mayonnaise – I like Hellmann’s Vegan or Vegenaise
- lemon juice
- dried dill
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
How to make Chickpea Salad:
More recipes featuring chickpeas:
Chickpea and Pasta Soup with Spinach – Hearty without being heavy. This soup is simple, flavorful, and easy to make.
Smashed Chickpea Salad and Sandwich Filling – A variation on Simple and Savory Vegan Chickpea Salad that includes additional spices, Dijon mustard, and red peppers.
Roasted Chickpeas and Edamame – A good-for-you snack ready to serve in just 20 minutes!
Simple and Savory Chickpea Salad
- 15 ounces chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 medium stalk celery chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- sea salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Into a medium-size mixing bowl, add drained chickpeas. Mash with a potato masher until the consistency is smashed but somewhat chunky. Or use a food processor to save time and chop the chickpeas quickly.
- Add the celery, red onion, vegan mayonnaise, lemon juice, dried dill, sea salt, and ground black pepper. Stir well to combine all ingredients.
- Pile onto toasted bread and serve right away. Or cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.