Roasted Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Lime Rice Bowls ~
This colorful, tasty, satisfying, protein-packed, budget-friendly meal can be on your table in about 30-40 minutes!
In addition to being quick and easy, this healthy dinner or lunch is also:
- On the table in about 30-40 minutes.
And this whole meal is easier than it looks.
It’s basically three steps:
- Roast the potatoes.
- Cook the rice.
- Toss it all together with the beans.
Tools to Help You Make Roasted Sweet Potato Black Bean & Lime Rice Bowls
- Baking Sheet – These half sheets are a perfect size.
- Medium Saucepan – Look for one like this, with a fitted glass lid, for cooking the rice.
- Large Deep Skillet – I’ve had this one for years and love it!
Ingredients for Roasted Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Lime Rice Bowls
You will need:
- sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- black beans
- taco seasoning
- long-grain white rice
- vegan chicken-style broth
- lime juice
- sea salt
- lime zest
How to make Roasted Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Lime Rice Bowls
For the potatoes:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Drizzle cubed potatoes with 1 teaspoon olive oil and toss to coat.
Onto a baking sheet, arrange potatoes in an even layer.
Roast 10-15 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork.
For the rice:
To a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add olive oil.
When the oil is hot, add rice and garlic.
Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, until garlic is softened and fragrant.
Add vegan chicken broth, lime juice, and sea salt.
Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Stir in lime zest.
Putting it all together:
Into a large, deep skillet over medium heat, add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. When the oil is hot, add roasted potatoes, black beans, and taco seasoning. Mix together to evenly distribute seasoning.
Cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes, or until heated through.
Add cooked rice and stir to blend ingredients. Continue cooking another 1-2 minutes to heat rice, if needed.
More Sweet Potato Recipes You’ll Love!
Follow This Wife Cooks on Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest
Roasted Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Lime Rice Bowls
A colorful, tasty, satisfying, protein-packed, budget-friendly meal that you can have on the table in about 30-40 minutes.Print Pin Rate
- 2 medium size sweet potatoes about 2 cups, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil divided
- 15- ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- For the rice:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups vegan chicken-style broth
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- For the potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drizzle cubed potatoes with 1 teaspoon olive oil and toss to coat.
- Onto a baking sheet, arrange potatoes in an even layer. Roast 10-15 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork.
- For the rice:
- To a medium saucepan over medium high heat, add olive oil. When oil is hot, add rice and garlic. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, until garlic is softened and fragrant.
- Add vegan chicken broth, lime juice, and sea salt. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in lime zest. Set aside.
- Putting it all together:
- Into a large, deep skillet over medium heat, add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. When oil is hot, add roasted potatoes, black beans, and taco seasoning. Mix together to evenly distribute seasoning.
- Cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes, or until heated through.
- Add cooked rice and stir to blend ingredients. Continue cooking another 1-2 minutes to heat rice, if needed. Serve hot.
Calories: 392kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 243mg | Potassium: 600mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2352IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @thiswifecooks or tag #thiswifecooks!
Join My Newsletter
Signup to get all my latest recipes delivered right to your inbox every week!
Do you have the nutritional values for this recipe?
Yes! It’s at the bottom of the printable recipe, just below the video.
Came out delicious!
Awesome! Thanks for the update! 🙂
Tried this tonight and loved it! So quick, easy, and flavorful!!
Fantastic! Thank you so much for your review!
10/10 would make again
Awesome! Thank you so much! 🙂
Delicious meal! Easy and so satisfying. This will be a repeat at our house for sure!
Thank you! I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed it!
This was very good and super easy to make. I used brown rice instead of white and ate it over a bed of spinach with extra lime squeezed over the top. I’ll definitely be making this again. My 2 year old daughter and hubby also enjoyed it. Yum yum.
Thanks, Ashley! I’m so glad you all enjoyed it! Nice touch adding the spinach! 🙂
Anxious to finally make this tonight! Using arborio rice and vegan broth I made last week!
Yay! Looking forward to your feedback! 🙂
This was great! Husband and I really liked it. I didn’t have the vegan broth so I just used chicken broth which I know makes it not vegan but it’s all I had 🙂 then I found vegetable stock in the fridge but it was too late haha! We will definitely add this to the dinner rotation!
This looks so good! What a simple but satisfying bowl with lots of flavor!
Thank you so much! 🙂
Thanks for sharing! Does it keep long?
We’ve never had any leftovers but it should be good for a day or two in the fridge.
It was very good! I didn’t have the vegan broth so I used some vegetable broth I had. Next time I’m going to wrap it in a tortilla!
Good idea! Glad to know that vegetable broth works just as well. 🙂
I love the simplicity of this meal. Sometimes I will add some cilantro to the rice. Other times I’ll also go crazy and add some unsweetened coconut!
Oooh… coconut sounds good! 🙂
Can you do brown rice instead of white?
This turned out great and was easy to make! The whole family, including 3 and 5 year olds, enjoyed it. I did add a diced onion and a can of rinsed/drained corn to the bean and sweet potato mixture. Toppings we used were sliced bell pepper, avocado, green onion and salsa. I’ll definitely be making this again!
I love your additions! Sounds like a great meal! 🙂
Had to comment. This is such a nice recipe. I used brown basmati, added half a hospital cabbage for extra veg. I’ve re fried a portion every day for my lunch this week.
Brown basmati rice sounds good! And I love that you meal prep with this recipe!
So simple but so yummy. Whole family loved this.
Thanks, Stephanie! 🙂
This meal was full of flavor! Followed the recipe. May make with shredded chicken ne t time.
I’m so glad you enjoyed it! Thank you! 🙂
Unbelievably delicious! Thank you.
I made this for my family last night and everyone loved it! I was anticipating a large amount of leftovers, as there are only 3 people in my family, but we ate all of it. I added diced onion to the bean and sweet potato mixture, and it was delicious. I can’t wait to make this again. It is definitely a new family favorite. Thank you!
Ha! We never have leftovers either! I’m so glad you enjoyed it!😊
how many servings does this make?
Hi Sonia ~ This recipe yields 4 servings.