Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Dinner is served!
Warm, roasted sweet potatoes are stuffed with a mixture of steamed gai-lan (a new-to-me ingredient also known as Chinese broccoli), crunchy cucumbers, fresh parsley, chickpeas, and lemon juice then served over a miso tahini sauce and sprinkled with Aleppo pepper flakes for a perfect balance of spicy and sweet.
This is hearty and satisfying enough to be a meal unto itself: it really doesn’t require anything additional other than maybe a crisp glass of white wine.
Ingredients for Stuffed Sweet Potatoes:
- sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- chickpeas – also known as garbanzo beans
- fresh parsley
- Chinese broccoli – also known as gai-lan
- lemon juice
- white miso paste
- white vinegar
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- white sesame seeds
- Aleppo pepper flakes
How to make Stuffed Sweet Peppers:
More sweet potato recipes:
Holiday Roasted Sweet Potatoes – The irresistible flavor combination of sweet potatoes, garlic, herbs, and parmesan make these potatoes perfect for the holiday table!
Roasted Sweet Potato, Black Bean & Lime Rice Bowls – A colorful, tasty, satisfying, protein-packed, budget-friendly meal that you can have on the table in about 30-40 minutes.
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes halved
- 2 teaspoon olive oil divided
- 1 15- ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 medium cucumber sliced into quarters
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1 small bunch gai lan chopped, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon lemon juice divided
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons white sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons Aleppo pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Rub both potato halves with 1 teaspoon olive oil and place cut side down on a baking sheet. Roast 25 minutes or until fork tender.
- When cool enough to handle, turn potato halves cut-side up. Use a fork to gently mash, being careful to not tear the skins.
- To a mixing bowl, add chickpeas, cucumbers, parsley, lemon juice, Season with salt, to taste. Set aside.
- To a small bowl, add white miso paste, tahini, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons water. Whisk until consistency is smooth.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil. When oil is hot, add gai lan and 1/4 cup water. Sauce until slightly wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, spread miso/tahini mixture onto plates then top each with two halves of sweet potatoes. Stuff with gai lan then add a layer of chickpea salad.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and Aleppo pepper flakes. Serve warm.
Join My Newsletter
Signup to get all my latest recipes delivered right to your inbox every week!
Love that you use miso paste. That gives such ja cheezy, tangy flavor 🙂
Oooh yes! Sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and miso are some of my favorite ingredients! These look amazing!
Stuffed sweet potatoes are a favorite at our house – I always love finding new creative ways to stuff ’em so thanks for sharing this one!! And Chinese broccoli is new to me too!
Fit Foodie Nutter
Wow, I could have this dinner on repeat every single day! Love chickpea and sweet potatoes!
Me too! 🙂
I love baked sweet potatoes, definitely giving this recipe a try!