Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Dinner is served!
Warm, roasted sweet potatoes are stuffed with a mixture of steamed gai-lan (a new-to-me ingredient also known as Chinese broccoli), crunchy cucumbers, fresh parsley, chickpeas, and lemon juice then served over a miso tahini sauce and sprinkled with Aleppo pepper flakes for a perfect balance of spicy and sweet.
This is hearty and satisfying enough to be a meal unto itself: it really doesn’t require anything additional other than maybe a crisp glass of white wine.
Ingredients for Stuffed Sweet Potatoes:
- sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- chickpeas – also known as garbanzo beans
- fresh parsley
- Chinese broccoli – also known as gai-lan
- lemon juice
- white miso paste
- white vinegar
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- white sesame seeds
- Aleppo pepper flakes
How to make Stuffed Sweet Peppers:
More sweet potato recipes:
Holiday Roasted Sweet Potatoes – The irresistible flavor combination of sweet potatoes, garlic, herbs, and parmesan make these potatoes perfect for the holiday table!
Roasted Sweet Potato, Black Bean & Lime Rice Bowls – A colorful, tasty, satisfying, protein-packed, budget friendly meal that you can have on the table in about 30-40 minutes.
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes halved
- 2 teaspoon olive oil divided
- 1 15- ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 medium cucumber sliced into quarters
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1 small bunch gai lan chopped, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon lemon juice divided
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons white sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons Aleppo pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Rub both potato halves with 1 teaspoon olive oil and place cut side down on a baking sheet. Roast 25 minutes or until fork tender.
- When cool enough to handle, turn potato halves cut-side up. Use a fork to gently mash, being careful to not tear the skins.
- To a mixing bowl, add chickpeas, cucumbers, parsley, lemon juice, Season with salt, to taste. Set aside.
- To a small bowl, add white miso paste, tahini, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons water. Whisk until consistency is smooth.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil. When oil is hot, add gai lan and 1/4 cup water. Sauce until slightly wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, spread miso/tahini mixture onto plates then top each with two halves of sweet potatoes. Stuff with gai lan then add a layer of chickpea salad.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and Aleppo pepper flakes. Serve warm.