Vegan Chili Mac Casserole
A classic chili mac made with all plant-based ingredients. This one is sure to become a family favorite!
This post really should be titled “Dad’s Chili Mac Goes Vegan.”
Isn’t it funny how just thinking about a certain meal can bring back so many memories?
This classic comfort food takes me back every time.
When I was a kid, my dad made his famous chili mac every weekend so this dish is definitely one of my favorite food memories from childhood.
I can still picture the tiny apartment with its narrow galley kitchen and hear Queen blasting ‘We Will Rock You’ through the speakers of our 70s stereo with the dial tuner.
I’ve tweaked dad’s recipe over the years but not by much.
The main upgrades are swapping meat and dairy for vegan ingredients and the addition of crushed tortilla chips on top.
I hope you love this family favorite as much as we do!
Ingredients for Vegan Chili Mac Casserole:
- elbow pasta
- plant-based ground beef substitute
- yellow onion
- green bell pepper
- taco seasoning
- tomato soup
- diced tomatoes
- green chiles
- vegan cheddar cheese
- tortilla chips
How to make Vegan Chili Mac Casserole:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
To a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, crumble ground beef substitute and add onion and peppers.
Cook, stirring frequently, until heated through and onions and peppers are softened.
Add taco seasoning and water.
Stir to coat.
Continue cooking until water is reduced.
Stir in tomato soup, tomatoes, and green chiles.
Stir in pasta.
To a prepared 11″ x 7″ baking dish, add the entire mixture.
Top with cheese and crumbled tortilla chips.
Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
Sprinkle with scallions.
More old school classics made vegan:
Vegan Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy – Serve with mashed potatoes and peas for the full old school experience.
Blackened Seitan Philly Cheesesteak – Big, bold, and packed with robust flavor!
Creamy Vegan Mac & Cheese – Only 5 ingredients and ready in under 30 minutes!
Vegan Chicken Pot Pie – This pie is completely devoured by the family every. single. time.
- 8 ounces elbow pasta
- 1/2 pound plant-based ground beef substitute
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 large green bell pepper chopped
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 - 10.75 ounce can tomato soup
- 1 - 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes drained
- 1 - 4 ounce can green chiles
- 1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup tortilla chips crushed
- 14 cup scallions sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- To a large deep skillet over medium high heat, crumble ground beef substitute and add onion and peppers. Cook, stirring frequently, until heated through and onions and peppers are softened.
- Add taco seasoning and water. Stir to coat. Continue cooking until water is reduced.
- Stir in tomato soup, tomatoes, and green chiles. Stir in pasta.
- To a prepared 11" x 7" baking dish, add the entire mixture. Top with cheese and crumbled tortilla chips. Bake, uncovered 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with green onions and serve warm.