Vegan Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy ~
The retro TV dinner classic made with all plant-based ingredients.
This is seriously good stuff!
I had a craving for simple and satisfying, old school stick to your ribs comfort food and this dinner of vegan Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes and peas was exactly what I was looking for!
The first bite took me right back to the nostalgia of my childhood of eating TV dinners and watching The Brady Bunch in our wood-paneled living room.
These juicy Salisbury steaks covered in rich mushroom gravy have all the same make-you-want-to-lick-the-plate classic homestyle goodness you expect but without the heavy meat and dairy ingredients many of us grew up with.
The key to achieving the perfect throwback experience is using a good quality ground beef substitute and broth. In my opinion, Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods make the best ground products on the market right now and I have used both with this recipe.
For the broth, I like Better Than Bouillon’s No-Beef Base.
Serve alongside mashed potatoes and peas for the full classic effect.
This one is sure to become a family favorite!
Ingredients for Vegan Salisbury Steak:
You will need:
- vegan egg substitute – I like VeganEgg or Bob’s Red Mill for this recipe
- vegan ground beef – My current favorite brands are Impossible and Beyond Meat
- seasoned bread crumbs
- mild-flavored plant milk, such as oat or unsweetened almond
- dry onion soup mix
- vegan Worcestershire sauce – I use Wizard brand
- ground black pepper
- vegan butter
- cremini mushrooms
- yellow onion
- vegan beef-style broth – Better Than Bouillon’s No-Beef Base is a good one.
How to Make Vegan Salisbury Steak:
More Comfort Food Classic Recipes You’ll Love!
Whole Grain Mustard Mashed Potatoes – Simple and savory. A perfect addition to the Oktoberfest menu!
Creamy Vegan Mac & Cheese – Only five ingredients and ready in under 30 minutes!
Vegan Chili Mac Casserole – The classic chili mac made with all plant-based ingredients.
Vegan Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
- For the patties:
- 1 vegan egg replacer equivalent of 1 egg
- 1 pound vegan ground beef
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons mild-flavored plant milk such as oat or unsweetened almond
- 1/2 package dry onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- For the gravy:
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 8- ounce package cremini mushrooms de-stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion thin sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 package dry onion soup mix
- 2 1/2 cups vegan beef-style broth
- sea salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Prepare vegan egg replacer:
- Prepare the egg replacer according to package directions. Set aside.
- Make the patties:
- Into a large mixing bowl, add vegan ground beef, bread crumbs, egg replacer mixture, milk, and 1/2 package onion soup mix, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper. Use your hands to mix well, until all ingredients are fully incorporated, then form into 5 patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add patties and cook until browned, 3-5 minutes on each side. Remove patties from skillet and set aside.
- Make the sauce:
- Place the same skillet used for cooking the patties over medium-high heat then add butter. When butter is melted, add mushrooms and onions. Sauté 3-5 minutes, until tender. Add garlic and saute 1 minute more.
- Stir in flour and remaining 1/2 package onion soup mix. Gradually add vegan beef-style broth, stirring continuously. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, continuing to stir until thickened, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper,
- Put it all together:
- Add patties back into the skillet with the gravy. Reduce heat to low and simmer 25-30 minutes. Serve hot.