Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip
Here’s a recipe that will make you want to ditch those pre-made onion dips for good!
Begin by lightly caramelizing thin slices of a sweet yellow onion. Then after stirring in sour cream, mayonnaise, cream cheese, and spices, then devour with a big bag of potato chips.
Note: While you absolutely can dig in just as soon as it’s ready, you’ll get the best results by letting the dip hang out in in the fridge overnight.
This will allow the flavors plenty of time to mix and mellow. I happen to know this firsthand because I first made this dip on the afternoon of this year’s Super Bowl and went ahead with serving it during the game. NBD. We devoured a bowl of it that night without thinking twice, but then…. the next day, it was even better!
Ingredients for Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip:
- olive oil
- large yellow onion
- sea salt
- vegan sour cream
- vegan mayonnaise
- vegan cream cheese
- garlic powder
- ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper
How to make Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip:
More crowd favorites:
Vegan Stuffed Mushroom Dip – Loaded with mushrooms, garlic, cream cheese and hot Italian sausage, then topped with buttery Panko breadcrumbs, this is a big family favorite around here!
Vegan Pub Style Beer Cheese Dip – Only 5 ingredients and perfect for Oktoberfest, game day, movie night, or anytime you need a crowd pleasing appetizer; you just can’t go wrong with a classic cheese dip.
Vegan 7-Layer Party Dip -Seven layers of savory taco-spiced refried beans, an easy homemade guacamole, vegan sour cream, crisp lettuce, fresh tomatoes, black olives, and green onions.
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 large onion medium diced
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- 3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese softened
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup scallions optional
- Begin by heating olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onions and salt. Cook, stirring frequently 20 minutes, or until light golden brown. Remove form heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, cream cheese, garlic powder, black pepper, and cayenne. Use spoon or a hand mixer to blend well.
- Fold in cooled onions.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours; preferably overnight. Garnish with scallions and serve chilled.