Chickpea and Pasta Soup with Spinach
Hearty without being heavy. This soup is simple, flavorful, and easy to make.
The secret ingredient and the key to greatness with this soup is the homemade vegetable broth.
Can I use canned or boxed vegetable broth?
Yes, but… it’s not ideal.
I’ve made this soup both ways and have found that broth-in-a-box will work in a pinch and will require more adjustments to seasoning.
If you’ve got a few extra minutes, it’s absolutely worth the time for the richer flavor that comes with homemade.
Ingredients for Chickpea and Pasta Soup with Spinach:
- sea salt
- bay leaves
- fresh thyme
- diced tomatoes
- chickpeas – also known as garbanzo beans
- ditalini or other small-size pasta
- fresh rosemary
- baby spinach leaves
How to make Chickpea and Pasta Soup with Spinach:
More Soup Night recipes:
Vean Ginger Noodle Soup – Warm and comforting, this satisfying soup is ready to serve in under an hour.
Sriracha Ramen Soup with Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms – A kicked-up version of ramen soup, packed with fresh veggies and ginger.
Vegan Tuscan Style Soup – Spicy vegan sausage, cannellini and garbanzo beans, potatoes, spinach, garlic….. this hearty soup is sure to warm you up on a cold day!
- 1 cup leeks white and light green parts, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots sliced
- 1 Tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 cans diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 cups ditalini or other small-size pasta
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- Begin by making the broth: Place leeks, carrots, salt, bay leaf, thyme, and tomatoes in a large pot with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Strain into a large bowl, pressing down on the vegetables to get as much liquid as possible. Return stock to the pot and discard the vegetables.
- Add the chickpeas, pasta, and rosemary to the broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until pasta is al dente.
- Stir in the spinach and allow to wilt.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve hot.