Ratatouille Pasta ~
This easy-to-make one-pot dish is absolutely bursting with robust flavors of the season – traditional ratatouille vegetables, including zucchini, tomatoes, garlic, eggplant, lemon, red peppers… it’s all in there… and tossing everything together with fresh pappardelle pasta puts this company-worthy meal over the top.
Serve with crusty bread or Garden Kale Side Salad.
Ratatouille Pasta Dish
We’ve definitely hit on a whole family favorite with this ratatouille recipe! It’s a balanced mix of vegetables with the heartiness of the pasta, and the end result was that even the pickiest eaters at the table were practically licking their bowls clean. I served this satisfying dish with toasted garlic bread and a side of chatter about one of our favorite family movies – Ratatouille, of course!
I like this spin on the classic French stew because
Ingredients for Ratatouille Pasta
- 1 medium eggplant, approximately 1 pound
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt & ground black pepper
- 8 ounces fresh pappardelle pasta, by weight
- 1/4 cup shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and sliced into half-moons
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Eggplant – An essential ingredient in traditional ratatouille. Look for eggplant that is slightly firm but not hard. it should also have smooth, shiny skin with a vibrant, deep purple color. Press gently with your thumb; if it yields slightly and bounces back, it’s fresh. Avoid eggplants with blemishes, soft spots, or dull skin, as they may be overripe or have internal damage.
- Fresh Pappardelle Pasta – I used fresh pasta purely for its time-saving convenience, and any long, wide pasta shape will work. If using dried pasta: Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente consistency, then set aside before beginning cooking.
- Shallot – Red onion or yellow onion also work well for this recipe.
- Zucchini – Or yellow squash.
Add one or more of these options to the final dish:
- Lightly drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Add Italian herbs – Sprinkle with chopped, fresh basil or other fresh herbs such as oregano or fresh thyme leaves.
- Serve with red pepper flakes on the side for those who want to add some heat.
- Add a light squeeze of lemon juice for a touch of citrus.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
How to Make Ratatouille Pasta
STEP ONE: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Trim and quarter the eggplant lengthwise, then cut into 1/2″ wedges. Place on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. Onto a sheet pan, spread the zucchini slices in an even layer. Drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and add salt and black pepper, to taste. Roast for 20 minutes, turning halfway through cooking time.
STEP TWO: During the eggplant roasting process, cook pasta according to package directions, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. After drained, drizzle lightly with olive oil to prevent sticking.
STEP THREE: To a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. When the oil is hot, add shallot; cook 3-5 minutes, until softened and fragrant.
STEP FOUR: Add zucchini; continue cooking an additional 2-3 minutes. Add garlic for 1 minute more.
STEP FIVE: Reduce heat to low and add grape tomatoes, roasted eggplant, roasted red peppers, and reserved 1/2 cup pasta water. Cook for about 5 minutes, until heated through.
STEP SIX: Stir in prepared pasta and adjust seasoning to taste. Top with parsley and lemon zest and serve hot.
More Vegan Italian Recipes You’ll Love!
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil divided
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces fresh pappardelle pasta
- 1/4 cup shallot thin-sliced
- 1 medium zucchini halved and sliced into half moons
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup grape tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers
- 2 tablespoons Italian flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Trim and quarter the eggplant lengthwise then cut into 1/2″ wedges. Place on paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Allow to sit 10 minutes. Onto a baking sheet, spread zucchini slices in an even layer. Drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and add salt and pepper, to taste. Roast 20 minutes, turning halfway through cooking time.
- While eggplant is roasting, prepare pasta according to package directions, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. After drained, drizzle lightly with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- To a large skillet over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. When oil is hot, add shallot; cook 3-5 minutes, until softened and fragrant. Add zucchini; continue cooking an additional 2-3 minutes. Add garlic for 1 minute more.
- Reduce heat to low and add grape tomatoes, roasted eggplant, roasted red peppers, and reserved 1/2 cup pasta cooking water. Cook about 5 minutes, until heated through.
- Stir in prepared pasta and adjust seasoning, to taste. Top with parsley and lemon zest.
- Serve warm.
Adapted from Purple Carrot.