Vegan Heavy Cream Substitute ~
Got a recipe that calls for heavy cream?
Making your own plant-based alternative requires just 2 simple ingredients and it’s ready in 10 minutes or less!
This recipe is quick, easy, and yields the equivalent of 1 cup of dairy-free heavy cream for use in any recipe that calls for heavy cream.
I like this recipe better than commercially available dairy-free options. Its flavor is more neutral, like a dairy-based cream, than the coconut-based creams I’ve tried from the supermarket.
This vegan heavy cream can be used to enrich sauces, soups, casseroles, desserts, and more!
Ingredients for Vegan Heavy Cream
You will need:
- 3/4 cup mild flavored plant-based milk, such as oat or unsweetened almond
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, melted
How to Make Vegan Heavy Cream Substitute
STEP ONE: Using a microwave, heat the butter 15 seconds at a time just until melted. Alternatively, melt the butter in a small saucepan on the stovetop over low heat.
STEP TWO: Into a high-speed blender, add the butter and milk. Blend on medium-high for about 5 minutes, until thickened slightly. (Exact time may vary depending on your blender speed.)
STEP THREE: Use in place of 1 cup of heavy cream.
Quick Tips for Success
- Keep in mind that the plant milk you choose will impact the overall flavor of the heavy cream. Personally, I like oat milk for this recipe because, in my opinion, it tastes the most like dairy as compared to other plant milk varieties on the market today.
- This heavy cream substitute is best used right away. However, if you would like to store it for later, the cream will keep well in the refrigerator, covered for 1-2 days.
More Useful Recipes You’ll Love!
- Vegan Cream of Chicken Substitute
- Vegan Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Vegan Evaporated Milk
- How to Replace Eggs with Carbonated Water in Baking
Follow This Wife Cooks on Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest
Vegan Heavy Cream Substitute
- 3/4 cup mild flavored plant-based milk such as oat or unsweetened almond
- 1/3 cup vegan butter melted
- Using a microwave, heat the butter 15 seconds at a time, just until melted. Alternatively, melt the butter in a small saucepan on the stovetop over low heat.
- Into a high speed blender, add the butter and milk. Blend on medium high for about 5 minutes, until thickened slightly. (Exact time may vary depending on your blender speed.)
- Use in place of 1 cup of heavy cream.
Join My Newsletter
Signup to get all my latest recipes delivered right to your inbox every week!
Oh, wow. What a hack! I’m buying heavy cream in stores but didn’t know it’s that easy to make it at home. I’m saving this to try. Thanks!
Thanks so much for the recipe Holly! Replacing heavy dairy cream is not easy when cooking or baking vegan. Most of the time I end up using coconut cream. I’m making this for sure!
I agree and I don’t always love the coconut flavor that comes through with coconut cream.
I never thought to make vegan heavy cream before but this was genius! So easy and was a great substitute!
Thank you so much! I love this recipe, especially for soups!
I was exactly looking for a recipe like this and, finally, here it is! It was super easy to make and it turned out great!
I’m glad to hear it and agree it is so easy!
I love how simple and easy this vegan heavy cream is to make with only 2 ingredients. Thank you for sharing!
Thank you Holly. I tried this and used my immersion blender for 5 minutes as you suggested and it turned to butter instead. Did I blend for too long maybe?
Hi Lisa! Yes, it sounds like your mixture was over blended. As noted in the recipe, the exact time will vary.
Hmm…that is odd. The mixture should thicken slightly but still remain pourable, just like dairy-based heavy cream. I use a Kitchen Aid high-speed blender and haven’t had any issues. I would love to help; I’m just not sure exactly what went wrong.
What brand of vegan butter did you use? I am allergic to soy, wheat, and dairy so I am looking for an allergy free vegan butter that can be used for baking but ice cream specifically.
For this recipe, I use Earth Balance sticks. I have not used this heavy cream specifically for ice cream though so I can’t speak to the results there. Seems like it should work? Let me know if you decide to try!
Have you tried making whipped cream with this recipe?
Hi Becky ~ I have not tried this recipe for whipped cream so I can’t say for sure if it would work for that. I’ve only used this recipe for general cooking and baking. If you decide to try whipping the heavy cream, I would love to hear your results!
Not sure what went wrong. It never thickened, the butter separated and got all gritty.
Hmmm… I’m not sure either… was your butter warm from melting? If so, I’m thinking that could be the issue.