Vegan Cream of Mushroom Substitute ~
This recipe yields the equivalent of one 10.75-ounce can of condensed cream of mushroom soup.
This is a concentrated soup that can be used in an equal amount with any recipe that calls for condensed cream of mushroom soup.
Think green bean casseroles, scalloped potatoes, savory baked dressings, and other traditional comfort foods and Thanksgiving classics.
So easy and flavorful!
You’ll never settle for the canned stuff again.
Ingredients for Vegan Cream of Mushroom Substitute
- vegan butter
- yellow onion
- cremini mushrooms
- dried thyme
- celery seed
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- all-purpose flour
- vegan chicken-style broth
- mild flavored plant milk, such as oat or unsweetened almond milk
How to Make Vegan Cream of Mushroom Substitute
STEP ONE: Into a large skillet over medium heat, add butter. When butter is melted, add onion, mushrooms, thyme, celery seed, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until softened, about 6 minutes.
STEP TWO: Add garlic and continue cooking another 1 minute.
STEP THREE: Add flour and stir to incorporate. Cook 2 minutes more, then quickly whisk in broth and milk.
STEP FOUR: Bring to a boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and allow too cool.
The soup is now ready for use in any recipe calling for condensed cream of mushroom soup.
Can I freeze this soup for later?
Make sure the soup is cooled completely before storing in an airtight container.
How can I reconstitute this soup for a quick & easy meal?
Pour the condensed soup into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 1/2 cups liquid then stir well and heat through. I like to use 3/4 cup each of vegan chicken broth and unsweetened almond milk. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve hot.
Another ‘Cream Of’ Soup Recipe You’ll Love!
- Vegan Cream of Chicken Substitute – This recipe is quick, easy, and yields the equivalent of one can of soup.
Follow This Wife Cooks on Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest
Updated August 18, 2021.
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Substitute
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 yellow onion very finely diced
- 6- ounce package cremini mushrooms very finely diced
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegan chicken-style broth
- 1/2 cup mild flavored plant milk such as oat or unsweetened almond
- Into a large skillet over medium heat, add butter. When butter is melted, add onion, mushrooms, thyme, celery seed, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue cooking another 1 minute.
- Add flour and stir to incorporate. Cook 2 minutes more, then quickly whisk in broth and milk.
- Bring to a boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and allow too cool. The soup is now ready for use in any recipe calling for condensed cream of mushroom soup.
Join My Newsletter
Signup to get all my latest recipes delivered right to your inbox every week!
Have you tried freezing this? Seems like it would work, but wanted to know your thoughts. Thank you.
Hi there! No, I have not tried freezing this soup. Seems like it would be fine though… let me know if you try it. 🙂
Holy cow this was good! I usually don’t leave recipe reviews but this is going in my little leather bound “keeper recipes” book. I am using this for green bean casserole and it’s better than the non-vegan can! Fresh and delicious! I used extra creamy plain (no flavor) oat milk and doubled the thyme, added some onion powder. Perfection!! Thank you! I’ll finally have a yummy vegan casserole for Thanksgiving!
Hello good vegan mushroom soup. Thanks for this!