Vegan Evaporated Milk ~
Super easy to make and perfect for all those holiday baking recipes, especially the always popular pumpkin pie.
The pumpkin pie recipe from the back of the Libby’s pumpkin can (plus a little extra spice) has been a Thanksgiving tradition in this family for years and as many of you know, evaporated milk is a key ingredient in the classic pie recipe.
However, while there are a few vegan brands out there now, I’ve found they’re not exactly widely available and tend to be made with coconut. Not a flavor I’m going for in my pumpkin pie.
Thankfully, homemade evaporated milk is not as complicated as it sounds.
There is literally only one ingredient and only one step. All you do is bring milk to a simmer until it reduces/evaporates to half the original amount. That’s it!
This recipe yields 12 ounces of evaporated milk; the equivalent of one can. Use it the same as you would with the canned version.
Ingredients for Vegan Evaporated Milk
- plant-based milk – I prefer oat milk or unsweetened almond milk.
How to Make Vegan Evaporated Milk
STEP ONE: Into a medium-size saucepan, add 3 cups unsweetened almond milk. Bring milk to a low simmer; do not boil.
STEP TWO: Allow to simmer until reduced by half, approximately 2 hours. Time may vary slightly due to differences in stovetops. Allow milk to cool completely prior to using in a recipe. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Can I use a different type of milk?
- Yes; whatever you have on hand will work fine. Just remember to take into account flavor differences and how that may affect your recipe.
More Recipes You’ll Love!
- Vegan Heavy Cream Substitute – Use in any recipe that calls for heavy cream.
- Vegan Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup – So easy and flavorful; you’ll never settle for the canned stuff again.
- Easy Vegan Hollandaise Sauce – Rich and creamy, this sauce is everything you remember of the egg-based version.
- Vegan Cream of Chicken Substitute – Quick, easy, and yields the equivalent of one can of soup.
- Brown Gravy – The classic gravy made with all plant-based ingredients!
Vegan Evaporated Milk
- 3 cups oat milk or unsweetened almond milk
- Into a medium size saucepan, add milk. Bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Simmer, uncovered approximately 2 hours, until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from heat and allow to cool coompletely. Use right away or refrigerate in an airtight container.