Vegan Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie ~
Pumpkin pie – the iconic, quintessential pie of Thanksgiving.
Rich, creamy, and loaded with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves; the classic spices of the season, this easy and comforting pie continues to be a family favorite year after year.
This post probably should have been titled something like, “Libby’s Pumpkin Pie Goes Vegan” because that’s really what’s going on here.
I made that pie for years and I think what I like about pumpkin pie, in addition to the taste, is that it’s not fussy like so many of the others on the Thanksgiving dessert table.
Pumpkin pie is not even trying to compete; it’s confident and humble at the same time. A classic.
I have had to make only two ingredient adjustments since going vegan almost 3 years ago.
I’ve swapped eggs for egg replacer and canned dairy-based evaporated milk for plant-based homemade.
Ingredients for Vegan Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie:
You will need:
- deep-dish pie crust
- granulated sugar
- ground cinnamon
- ground ginger
- ground cloves
- vegan half and half
- canned pumpkin
How to Make Vegan Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie:
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
STEP TWO: Mix together dry ingredients. Into a large mixing bowl, add sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and cloves. Stir to combine.
STEP FOUR: Add the pumpkin.
STEP FIVE: Stir, or use a hand mixer set on low speed, just until combined.
STEP SIX: Add evaporated milk. Continue mixing and slowly add in evaporated milk.
STEP SEVEN: Stir or mix until fully incorporated.
STEP EIGHT: Pour into the pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes.
STEP NINE: Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
STEP TEN: Continue baking 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
STEP ELEVEN Place on a wire rack to cool completely. Transfer to the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, and up to overnight to set.
STEP TWELVE: Garnish with dairy-free whipped cream and a sprinkling of nutmeg, if desired then serve.
More Essential Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes!
- Vegan Thanksgiving Wellington
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Thanksgiving Cranberry Sauce
- Vegan Evaporated Milk
- Vegan Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
Vegan Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie
- 9- inch deep dish pie crust unbaked
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cup can pumpkin
- 1 cup vegan half and half
- Dairy-free whipped cream optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Into a large mixing bowl, add sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and cloves. Stir to combine.
- Add the pumpkin then stir, or use a hand mixer set on low speed, just until combined.
- Continue mixing and slowly add in half and half. Stir or mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour into pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Continue baking 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool completely. Transfer to the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or up to overnight to set.
- Garnish with dairy-free whipped cream and a sprinkling of nutmeg, if desired, then serve.