Vegan Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie ~
Pumpkin pie – the iconic, quintessential pie of Thanksgiving.
Rich, creamy, and loaded with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves; the classic spices of the season, this easy and comforting pie continues to be a family favorite year after year.
This post probably should have been titled something like, “Libby’s Pumpkin Pie Goes Vegan” because that’s really what’s going on here.
I made that pie for years and I think what I like about pumpkin pie, in addition to the taste, is that it’s not fussy like so many of the others on the Thanksgiving dessert table.
Pumpkin pie is not even trying to compete; it’s confident and humble at the same time. A classic.
I have had to make only two ingredient adjustments since going vegan almost 3 years ago.
I’ve swapped eggs for egg replacer and canned dairy-based evaporated milk for plant-based homemade.
Ingredients for Vegan Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie:
- deep-dish pie crust
- granulated sugar
- ground cinnamon
- sea salt
- ground ginger
- ground cloves
- vegan egg replacer – I use Bob’s Red Mill brand for this recipe.
- evaporated milk – I make my own using unsweetened almond milk; find the recipe here.
- canned pumpkin
How to Make Vegan Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie:
STEP ONE: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
STEP TWO: Prepare the egg replacer according to package directions. Set aside.
STEP THREE: Mix together dry ingredients. Into a large mixing bowl, add sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and cloves. Stir to combine.
STEP FOUR: Add all wet ingredients except evaporated milk. Add pumpkin and egg replacer mixture.
STEP FIVE: Stir, or use a hand mixer set on low speed, just until combined.
STEP SIX: Add evaporated milk. Continue mixing and slowly add in evaporated milk.
STEP SEVEN: Stir or mix until fully incorporated.
STEP EIGHT: Pour into the pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes.
STEP NINE: Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
STEP TEN: Continue baking 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
STEP ELEVEN Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
STEP TWELVE: Garnish with dairy-free whipped cream and a sprinkling of nutmeg, if desired. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
More Essential Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes:
Vegan Evaporated Milk – Yields the equivalent of one 12-ounce can. Perfect for pumpkin pie!
Vegan Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup – So easy and flavorful; you’ll never settle for the canned stuff again!
Vegan Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie
- 9- inch deep dish pie crust unbaked
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 15- ounce can pumpkin
- vegan egg replacer equivalent of 2 eggs
- 12 ounces vegan evaporated milk
- Dairy-free whipped cream optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prepare egg replacer according to package directions. Set aside.
- Into a large mixing bowl, add sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves. Stir to combine.
- Add pumpkin and egg replacer mixture. Stir, or use a hand mixer set on Low speed, just until combined.
- Continue mixing and slowly add in evaporated milk. Stir or mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour into pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Continue baking 50 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Garnish with dairy-free whipped cream and a sprinkling of nutmeg, if desired, and serve at room temperature.