Tortellini Soup with Spinach & Tomatoes
As I type this post, the family and I are in full storm prep mode… The first big snowstorm of the year, recently upgraded to blizzard status, is forecasted to arrive tomorrow… So get your bread and milk, then settle in at home with a big pot of this tasty soup!
Bring it on, Snowzilla!!
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/3 cup yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegan chicken broth
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 10 ounces fresh vegan cheese tortellini
- 2 T vegan sour cream
- 5 ounces baby spinach leaves rough chopped
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, 3-5 minutes, until tender and fragrant.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking and stirring another 1-2 minutes, until thickened.
- Pour in the broth, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, and tortellini. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to Low and allow to simmer 10 minutes, or until the tortellini are cooked through.
- Remove from heat then stir in sour cream and spinach. Once the spinach is wilted, adjust the seasoning to taste and serve hot.