Creamy Vegan Mac & Cheese
Is there a better comfort food than mac & cheese? I don’t think so.
When I first went all plant-based, mac and cheese was one of those food groups – yes, mac & cheese is in a category all its own in my mind – I would just have to do without. Not so!
After much trial and error, I finally hit on the right one for us (that’s code for “kid-approved”) while developing a recipe for VegNews Magazine. In honor of #NationalJunkFoodDay, the kids and I made an over-the-top Mac and Cheese Pizza with Potato Chip Topping and this is the mac & cheese we used.
See the full pizza recipe on VegNews.com –> Vegan Mac and Cheese Pizza with Potato Chip Topping
What I like about this mac & cheese: Two things – the simplicity and the taste!
Only five ingredients and it’s got all the creamy cheesiness you know and love.
Tools to help you make Easy Creamy Vegan Mac & Cheese:
- Small saucepan – No need to soak the cashews; it’s faster to boil them!
- Medium saucepan – 2 quarts is the perfect size for combining the pasta and sauce.
- High speed blender – This is the secret to super smooth sauces!
- 1½ cups dry elbow macaroni
- 1½ cup + 2 tablespoons water, divided
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 cup vegan chicken broth
- 6 ounces shredded vegan mozzarella
- Prepare elbow macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Into a small pot, add 1 cup water and cashews. Bring to a boil and cook 8 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
- Into a food processor or blender, add remaining ½ cup + 2 tablespoons water. Blend on high until consistency is smooth.
- Into a medium pot, add cashew mixture, broth, and cheese. Heat over medium heat until cheese is melted.
- Fold in cooked elbow macaroni and serve warm.