Vegan Lentil Bolognese with Fettuccine and Rosemary
Lentils replace the traditional ground beef in this hearty and fragrant version of an Italian classic but the real secret ingredient is the rosemary!
And while dried herbs definitely have their place in my life, this is a recipe where fresh is the only way to go.
- 3/4 cup green lentils
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 medium carrots small diced
- 2 stalks celery small diced
- 1/4 cup yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic thin sliced
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 6 ounces fettuccine pasta
- 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan grated
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add lentils and cook 15-20 minutes, until al dente. Drain well and set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add rosemary leaves and cook, stirring frequently, 1-2 minutes, until slightly crispy. Remove rosemary from pan and place on paper towel-lined plate. Set aside, leaving oil in the pan.
- To the pan of reserved oil, add carrots, celery, and onion. Cook, stirring frequently 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, lentils, red wine, and 1 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water prior to draining.
- Add butter, pasta, and 1/4 cup cooking water to the sauce pan. Stir gently to combine and heat through, adding reserved water as needed to reach desired consistency.
- Garnish with Parmesan and rosemary. Serve warm.
Tried this recipe?Mention @thiswifecooks or tag #thiswifecooks!
Join My Newsletter
Signup to get all my latest recipes delivered right to your inbox every week!
Leave a Reply