Vegan Cherry Snowball Cookies ~
These fun and festive dairy-free cookies are so easy to make and melt in your mouth!
They look great on a cookie tray and are perfect for a holiday cookie exchange or to place in a pretty tin and give as gifts.
These cherry snowball cookies taste great right away but I’m convinced they’re even better the next day after the dough has had time to really soak up the flavor of the cherries.
I made these on a Monday and gave them to friends on a Wednesday and they all raved about them.
A few quick tips:
To get the snowballs uniformly rounded, I recommend using a 2″ cookie scoop. If you don’t have a scoop, it’s totally fine. You can always use your very clean hands to form the balls or drop the dough by spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet.
Do not skip the step of chopping the coconut! I know it might seem unnecessary because the coconut is already shredded but I promise, this will make a big difference in the texture of your cookies. I just throw the coconut in a mini chopper and pulse it for a few seconds. Easy.
If you don’t have walnuts on hand, pecans and almonds will also work well here.
Ingredients for Vegan Cherry Snowball Cookies:
- confectioners’ sugar
- vegan butter
- all-purpose flour
- quick-cooking oats
- sweetened coconut
- maraschino cherries
How to make Vegan Cherry Snowball Cookies:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Cream the butter and sugar. Into a medium-size mixing bowl add 1/4 cup of the confectioners’ sugar and softened butter. Using an electric mixer, blend until smooth.
Mix in everything except the cherries. Add all-purpose flour, quick-cooking oats, coconut, walnuts, and salt. Mix on medium speed for 25 seconds, until well combined.
Add the maraschino cherries. Continue mixing an additional 25 seconds, until the dough comes together and turns pink in color.
Roll the dough. Using your very clean hands, roll the dough into 15 balls. Place them 2 inches apart onto the parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake in preheated oven for 18 minutes.
Roll cookies in sugar. Into a small mixing bowl, add the remaining 1 cup confectioners’ sugar. While cookies are still warm, roll each in the sugar to coat.
Roll the cookies again. Once all of the cookies have been coated, roll each in the sugar a second time.
Store cookies in an airtight container.
More festive holiday treats:
Traditional Vegan Peanut Brittle is quick and easy to make and does not require refrigeration, making it perfect for gifting.
Easy Vegan Royal Icing is great for cookies and gingerbread house decorating!
Vegan Chocolate Crunch Bars are tasty and easy enough for the kids to make.
Vegan Cherry Snowball Cookies
- 1 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar divided
- 1/2 cup vegan butter softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup sweetened coconut finely chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 15 maraschino cherries finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Into a medium-size mixing bowl add 1/4 cup of the confectioners' sugar and softened butter. Using an electric mixer, blend until smooth.
- Add all-purpose flour, quick-cooking oats, coconut, walnuts, and salt. Mix on medium speed for 25 seconds, until well combined.
- Continue mixing an additional 25 seconds, until the dough comes together and turns pink in color.
- Using your very clean hands, roll the dough into 15 balls. Place them 2 inches apart onto the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 minutes.
- Into a small mixing bowl, add the remaining 1 cup confectioners' sugar. While cookies are still warm, roll each in the sugar to coat.
- Once all of the cookies have been coated, roll each in the sugar a second time.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.
Did you make this recipe? Follow and tag me on Instagram @thiswifecooks, #thiswifecooks
Join My Newsletter
Signup to get all my latest recipes delivered right to your inbox every week!
Beautiful cookies. So perfect for Christmas and beyond. I will definitely make them. Can’t wait.
These were really easy to make with the help of your instructions. They looked so pretty it seemed a shame to eat them… but we did. They didn’t last long… my family loved them. They’re all fans of cherry flavours so they were a real hit.
These are so awesome! Finally a vegan version of these awesome cookies. So so yummy!
These cherry snowball cookies were so delicious! I loved all the flavors and it was such a fun recipe to make with the whole family!
Saving this recipe for Christmas! I made them yesterday and they were so good! I can’t wait to make these again, but this time I will double the batch! Thank you!
GUSTAVO DE OBALDIA
Holly, this cookies were formidable. I really nice treat! I am definitely making them again on a large batch!
I can’t wait to make these for Christmas! A lovely twist on a classic!