Vegan Russian Dressing
A dairy-free version of the classic Russian dressing and sandwich spread.
A common misconception is that Russian Dressing and Thousand Island Dressings are one and the same; they are not.
There are three defining differences:
- Traditional Russian dressing does not include pickles!
- Russian dressing has a creamier texture than Thousand Island. See #1 for the reason why. 😉
- In contrast to the sweetness of 1000 Island dressing, Russian dressing has a spicy kick to it, thanks to the additions of horseradish and chili sauce.
Uses for Russian dressing, beyond salad:
The sharper, piquant taste of Russian dressing makes it perfect as a sandwich spread.
This is one of our favorite ways to repurpose leftover Glazed Corned Seitan Roast:
- Begin by spreading Russian dressing over both sides of sub rolls.
- Pile the sub rolls full with thinly sliced roast. (Use a mandoline for super-thin strips.)
- Top with pickled jalapenos and shredded mozzarella
- Broil just long enough to melt the cheese
Fun Facts for those who love food history:
Russian dressing wasn’t invented in Russia at all!
In fact, no one seems to know how it got the name Russian in the first place since neither mayonnaise nor ketchup is a common ingredient in traditional Russian cooking.
Historians believe this dressing was actually developed in the United States, specifically New Hampshire, during the early 1900s.
Ingredients for Vegan Russian Dressing:
1 cup vegan mayonnaise
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon shallot, finely minced
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon horseradish
2 teaspoons chili sauce
1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
How to make Vegan Russian Dressing:
Into a medium-size mixing bowl, add mayonnaise, ketchup, shallot, horseradish, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, dried mustard, and smoked paprika.
Stir until all ingredients are well blended.
Cover and refrigerate 2 hours, until chilled.
Vegan Russian Dressing
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon shallot finely minced
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 2 teaspoons chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Into a medium-size mixing bowl, add mayonnaise, ketchup, shallot, horseradish, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, dried mustard, and smoked paprika.
- Stir until all ingredients are well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours, until chilled.
- Serve chilled.