Bursting with flavor, this hearty and satisfying vegan version of the Indian classic can be on your table in around 30 minutes!
If you want to either stretch the number of servings or just turn down the heat a little, I recommend beginning with bowls of basmati rice and spooning the channa masala over the top.
A cool cucumber raita and naan bread are the perfect complement to the spicy chickpeas.
- Basmati rice
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 T garam masala
- 1 T tomato paste
- 2 Tsp. fresh ginger minced
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 - 15 oz. cans chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 - 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Begin by cooking rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté 3-5 minutes, until softened.
- Add garam masala, tomato paste, ginger, red pepper flakes, chickpeas and crushed tomatoes. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, fold in sour cream.
- Spoon prepared rice into serving bowls. Top with chickpeas, garnish with a sprinkling of cilantro, and serve warm.