Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Happy Sunday! Let’s make soup….
This is a hearty comfort food classic that gets a flavor boost with the addition of Pepper Jack cheese. And it you want to kick it up further, I recommend a dash or two of cayenne pepper sauce.
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 T butter
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups vegan chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Cut cauliflower into small bite-size florets and place on a sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil then season with salt and pepper, to taste. Roast 15 - 20 minutes or until fork tender. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onion and cook 3 - 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened and fragrant.
- Add garlic and continue cooking an additional 1-2 minutes. Add flour and stir vigorously to thicken.
- Pour in mik 1/2 cup at a time, whisking well after each addition. Continue whisking and add in the broth. Add roasted cauliflower to the pot.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in Pepper Jack and Cheddar cheeses. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve warm.