The latest addition to our Pasta Night rotation is this creamy Alfredo deliciousness packed with colorful, good-for-you veggies.
This recipe is easily customizable to whatever vegetables and pasta you have on hand.
- 2 cups Broccoli cut into florets
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced and divided
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil chopped
- 1 - 12 oz. pkg. fettuccine pasta3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 Tablespoons fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add broccoli and cook until crisp-tender, around 5 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Place pine nuts in a large, dry skillet over medium heat. Toast pine nuts 2-3 minutes, until light golden brown and slightly fragrant. Shake the span frequently to avoid burning the pine nuts. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Pour 1 Tablespoon olive oil in the skillet. Add red peppers and onions. Cook, stirring frequently, 3-5 minutes. Add 2 cloves minced garlic and continue cooking another 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli and sun-dried tomatoes. Set mixture aside and keep warm.
- To the pot used to cook the broccoli, add butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add remaining 2 cloves of garlic, cooking 1-2 minutes.
- Cook fettuccine pasta according to package directions.
- Add heavy cream and black pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer, stirring frequently, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses a little bit at a time, allowing each addition to melt prior to adding more, until all cheese is incorporated into the sauce. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Toss Alfredo sauce with cooked pasta. Stir in the broccoli/red pepper/onion mixture, top with toasted pine nuts, parsley, and thyme. Serve warm.