English Muffin Bread
Some days are just made for staying home and baking bread. Today has been one of those days for me.
Remove from oven and turn loaves out onto a wire rack. Allow to cool completely before slicing.
- 2 3/4 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 5 3/4 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter melted (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, proof the yeast by pouring in 1 cup of the warm water and the yeast. Allow to stand for a few minutes while the yeast gets bubbly and foamy looking.
- Stir in the remaining water, salt, and sugar.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Cover bowl and place in a cool, dark place. Allow dough to double in size. I let mine sit for about an hour.
- Punch down the dough and divide equally into two prepared 8x4 loaf pans. Cover again and allow to rise again, doubling in size. I allowed another hour for this. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°
- Uncover and place in preheated oven. Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly golden. If desired, brush tops with melted butter 5 minutes prior to finish.
- Remove from oven and turn loaves out onto a wire rack. Allow to cool completely before slicing.