Apple Cheddar Rosemary Bread ~
Sweet and savory, dairy-free beer bread with the classic flavor combination of apples, cheddar cheese, and fresh rosemary.
Guaranteed to make your house smell like fall!
The early morning hours are beginning to get a little cooler here with just the tiniest hint of fall in the air.
That’s all it takes for me.
I don’t care that we’re sweltering by afternoon, I’ve already switched gears.
Bring on apple season!
What type of apples should I use?
Gala apples have a slight pop of vanilla flavor so that’s what I like to use for this bread but, really, your favorite variety or whatever you have on hand will work fine.
What kind of beer should I use?
You want a light beer that’s not going to overpower in taste or color. I used a pale ale from a local brewery.
Apple ale is also a good choice.
What to serve with Apple Cheddar Rosemary Bread:
- Baked Potato Soup – this bread is made for potato soup!
- White Bean Chili
- Easy Vegan Vegetable Stew
- Vegan Beer Cheese Soup
Ingredients for Apple Cheddar Rosemary Bread:
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- granulated sugar
- pale ale beer – Apple ale is a good choice for this bread, if available.
- apples – Gala apples are my first choice but whatever you have on hand will work.
- vegan cheddar cheese – Cheddar and apple are such a great flavor pairing!
- fresh rosemary – Fresh is best but 2/3 teaspoon dried will also work in a pinch.
- vegan butter
How to make Apple Cheddar Rosemary Bread:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix the dry ingredients. Into a large mixing bowl, sift all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
Stir in the beer. Pour in beer then stir to combine.
Add the remaining ingredients. Add diced apple, cheddar cheese, and rosemary. Stir until all ingredients are fully incorporated. The dough will be very thick and sticky.
Prep and bake. Into a prepared 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pan, add the dough in an even layer. Bake for 55 minutes.
Add butter and continue baking. Remove bread from the oven and brush the melted butter. Return the bread to the oven and continue cooking for an additional 3 minutes.
Cool, slice, and serve. Remove the finished bread from the loaf pan. Set onto a cooling rack and allow to cool before slicing.
More Quick and Easy Bread Recipes:
Apple Cheddar Rosemary Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 12 ounces pale ale beer
- 1 cup apple finely diced
- 3/4 cup vegan cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Into a large mixing bowl, sift all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Pour in beer then stir to combine.
- Add diced apple, cheddar cheese, and rosemary.
- Stir until all ingredients are fully incorporated. The dough will be very thick and sticky.
- Into a prepared 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pan, add the dough in an even layer.
- Bake for 55 minutes.
- Remove bread from the oven and brush the melted butter.
- Return bread to the oven and continue cooking an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove finished bread from the loaf pan. Set onto a cooling rack and allow to cool before slicing.