On a recent Snow Day at home, I was feeling crafty.
I was also in need of a new and fun way to keep a toddler happy. I was on a quest to avoid the dreaded B word – boredom.
So, after a super quick search online, I decided to try out this recipe for homemade play dough.
There are other recipes out there that don’t require cooking or that call for a lot less cream of tartar but they, according to reviews, tend to have an off texture or the color doesn’t adhere well, etc.
This recipe is great and the ingredients are items you probably already have in your pantry right now.
Ingredients for Homemade Play Dough
- all-purpose flour
- olive oil
- cream of tartar
- food coloring – optional but fun!
How to Make Homemade Play Dough
Fun Recipes to Make With Kids
Homemade Play Dough
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
- food coloring
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine water, all-purpose flour, olive oil, cream of tartar, and desired amount of food coloring.
- Stir continuously for 4-5 minutes. The liquid will become firm, pull away from the pan, and form a ball.
- Remove the dough from the pan and set it onto a sheet of parchment paper to cool.
- When the play dough is completely cool, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or store it in an air-tight container.