BBQ Cheesy Rice ~
This quick and easy side dish is great for potlucks and casual family dinners.
The barbecue sauce gives a nice smokiness that pairs well with summer flavors, such as Grilled Cauliflower Steaks and corn on the cob.
Rice has become one of those side dishes that I find myself making on a regular basis. It’s just so versatile and easy to pair with so many different cuisines.
This recipe was a new one for me though. Up until now, I had never had a rice dish that included barbecue sauce.
Once I learned this was actually a thing, I was intrigued.
So I gave it a go and I’m happy to report that it totally works.
Ingredients for BBQ Cheesy Rice
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups white long-grain white rice
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce – The success of this recipe relies heavily on the quality and flavor of the sauce used; go with one you already know and love.
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded – Cheddar pairs so well with barbecue sauce that I don’t recommend using any other variety of cheese.
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped – Also known as green onions.
How to Make BBQ Cheesy Rice
STEP ONE: Cook the onion and garlic. Into a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot add the red onion. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently until softened. Add the garlic and continue cooking for an additional 1 minute.
STEP TWO: Add the rice and liquids. Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the water and stir in the barbecue sauce.
STEP THREE: Cover and simmer. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
STEP FOUR: Stir in cheese and scallions. Gently fold in the cheddar cheese and scallions. Remove from heat and serve.
More Easy Rice Recipes You’ll Love!
- Asian Mushroom Rice
- Green Chile Rice and Black Bean Soup
- Mexican Rice and Black Beans
- Basmati Coconut Rice
- Herbed Rice
Follow This Wife Cooks on Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest
BBQ Cheesy Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons scallions chopped
- Into a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot add the red onion. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently until softened. Add the garlic and continue cooking for an additional 1 minute.
- Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the water and stir in the barbecue sauce. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Gently fold in the cheddar cheese and scallions. Remove from heat and serve.
Join My Newsletter
Signup to get all my latest recipes delivered right to your inbox every week!
This is the best side dish whenever you’re craving comfort and delicious! Mmm the rice is perfectly cooked!
This recipe turns rice out to be so heavenly! It is beautifully flavored and fluffy, and a great side for a variety of meals. We eat a lot of rice in our home and having some variation than just plain rice is perfect. Definitely a regular in our home from now on!
Oh my, this was so good! We paired it with a side of salad and roasted chickpeas. Filling and delicious. Thank you
Turned out so good! My husband especially loved this recipe! Will be making again!
such a delicious rice recipe! so good!
tasty rice bowl – i like to use it in a burrito or wrap. it’s perfect for meal prep
This is definitely being added to our regular recipe rotation! It turned out SO delicious! YUM
Omg this is SUCH a fun rice recipe!! So flavorful!
BBQ Anything and I’m there! This sounds simply incredible!
Thank you for a wonderful go-to recipe when we’re craving something plant-based, cheesy, savory, and comforting! Delicious!
I loved loved loved this recipe! Rice is one of my favorite foods, and I loved the flavors pairing here! A keeper!
This looks so delicious. What would you recommend it be served with?
This is a great side dish which goes with so many meals. Tasty, and can be prepared in minutes.
I hate BBQ SAUCE, but I made one small change — and I LOVE this recipe!
I swapped out the sauce for a tablespoon of Japanese BBQ Rub seasoning (I experimented) and increased the water to 3 cups. Oh I did sauté in a mix of ghee and olive oil. I’m sure you could try any seasoning profile that you enjoy that goes with the other ingredients.
The house smelled wonderful! I know onions and garlic are great but for me adding that seasoning kicked it up a notch. Wonderful recipe! I’m seeking new rice dishes and this is my favorite thus far!
I’m glad you were able to make the recipe work to suit your style!