Carolina Style BBQ Sauce ~
West North Carolina-Style tomato and vinegar-based barbecue sauce is a Southern cooking staple that is easy to make with simple pantry ingredients. Try it on Grilled BBQ Tofu!
This multi-purpose sauce is thick and savory, with a slight tanginess to it.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, prep is a snap; maybe 5 minutes. After that, you will need to allow time for a long, slow simmer (a little over an hour) on the stove. This is where the magic happens. The flavors blend as the sauce simmers and thickens.
Carolina BBQ Sauce is ready to go right off the stove but any leftovers will need to be cooled completely and then stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Ingredients for Carolina Style BBQ Sauce
You will need:
- apple cider vinegar
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- yellow mustard
- onion powder
- ground black pepper
- lemon juice
- vegan Worcestershire sauce
How to Make Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce
STEP ONE: Into a small-size saucepan, add all ingredients. Stir to combine.
STEP TWO: Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low.
STEP THREE: Simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently, for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Yields 1 cup.
Carolina Style BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Into a small-size saucepan, add all ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently, for 1 hour 15 minutes.