Baked Potato Soup ~
This dairy-free spin on the classic comfort food soup is easy to make and loaded with flavor!
This has been my go-to baked potato soup recipe for years.
And by that, I mean like, 10+ years.
It’s that good.
Why you will love this soup:
- rich and creamy
- hearty and filling
- easy to make
- made with simple ingredients
- leftovers hold up well in the fridge
Baked potato soup is delicious on its own but if you are inclined to add toppings, go with whatever you normally enjoy on a traditional baked potato.
My personal favorites are vegan cheddar and chopped scallions.
Ingredients for Baked Potato Soup:
- Russett potatoes – they’re the best for baking
- olive oil
- vegan butter
- yellow onion
- all-purpose flour
- sea salt
- dried thyme
- dried basil
- vegan chicken-style broth
- dairy-free half & half
- cayenne pepper sauce, optional
- baked potato toppings, optional
How to make Baked Potato Soup:
Bake the potatoes:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Using your very clean hands, lightly coat the potatoes with olive oil.
With a fork, prick the potatoes several times. This helps steam escape during the baking process.
Arrange potatoes onto a foil or parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
Bake for 1 hour or until done, turning every 20 minutes. Use a fork to check for doneness. The potatoes should be soft and easily pierced.
Set baked potatoes aside until cool enough to handle.
Peel potatoes then cut into bite-size pieces.
More hearty potato recipes:
Baked Potato Soup
- 4 Russett potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 cups vegan chicken-style broth
- 2 cups dairy-free half & half
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce optional
- baked potato toppings optional
Bake the potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Using your very clean hands, lightly coat the potatoes with olive oil.
- With a fork, prick the potatoes several times. This helps steam escape during the baking process.
- Arrange potatoes onto a foil or parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour or until done, turning every 20 minutes. Use a fork to check for doneness. The potatoes should be soft and easily pierced.
- Set baked potatoes aside until cool enough to handle.
- Peel potatoes then cut into bite-size pieces.
For the soup:
- Into a large pot over medium heat, add the vegan butter.
- When the butter is melted, add the onion and saute 3 minutes, until onions are softened.
- Add garlic and continue cooking an additional 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour, salt, thyme, and basil.
- Slowly add broth, whisking continuously until fully incorporated.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low.
- Stir in non-dairy half & half.
- Stir in cayenne pepper sauce, if using.
- Add the potatoes.
- SImmer 5 minutes to heat through.
- Ladle into serving bowls then add any desired toppings.
- Serve hot.