A quick and easy vegan Spanish rice that you can have on the table in 30 minutes and all you need is five simple ingredients:
- vegan butter
- yellow onion
- long grain white rice
- vegan chicken broth
- chunky tomato-based salsa
This rice is perfect on the side with tacos, as filling for enchiladas and burritos, or as a hearty addition to your taco salad. The recipe itself is quite simple but the key to greatness lies in the salsa selection. The fresher and chunkier the salsa, and the bolder the flavor, the better the rice will turn out.
You can always make your own salsa, if that’s your thing, but that’s obviously going to add to the prep time. For that reason, I like to go the semi-homemade route here and pick up fresh salsa from the supermarket produce section.
Another Taco Night recipe we like is this Cilantro Lime Rice which pairs particularly well with spicier dishes.
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons yellow onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice uncooked
- 2 cups vegan chicken broth
- 1 cup chunky tomato-based salsa
- To a large skillet over medium heat, add butter. When butter is hot, add onions. Cook until tender, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice into skillet and stir to coat with butter and onions.
- When rice begins to brown, add vegan chicken broth and salsa.
- Bring just to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, until rice is cooked and liquid has been absorbed.