Vegan Leek and Potato Soup with Carrots
Whether you add the carrots or don’t (they do add a nice pop of color), you just can’t beat this type of soup, especially on a cold and rainy day like the one we’re having here today.
These are the days I just want to stay in, light a fire, and lounge around in my thick, fuzzy socks, watching Christmas movies.
And when thinking of what to make for dinner, soup just makes sense.
Ingredients for Vegan Leek and Potato Soup with Carrots:
- potatoes – whatever kind you have on hand will work fine
- vegan chicken broth – I like Better Than Bouillon’s No-Chicken Base – or vegetable broth
- unsweetened almond milk
- salt spice blend – I use Jane’s Crazy Mixed-Up Salt
- Italian parsley – also known as flat-leaf parsley
- cayenne pepper sauce – recommend Frank’s Red Hot
How to make Vegan Leek and Potato Soup with Carrots:
- 1 lb. leeks white and green parts, chopped
- 2 lbs. potatoes cubed
- 1/2 cup carrots diced
- 32 oz. vegan chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- salt or salt spice blend we like Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt
- Italian parsley optional
- cayenne pepper sauce to taste
- Place leeks, potatoes, and carrots in a large pot. Pour over the broth and water.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook and stir occasionally until vegetables are tender, 20-30 minutes depending on size.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut milk.
- Season to taste with your preferred salt blend and cayenne pepper sauce. Serve warm.
- **For a less-chunky soup, use an immersion blender or regular blender to bring it to your desired texture.