I was recently presented with an Iron Chef – style challenge by Beyond Meat… The ingredients in the virtual basket were any Beyond Meat product, lettuce, radishes, tomatoes, cantaloupe and kimchi. Given the focus of my first soon-to-be-released cookbook, my brain went immediately to tacos.
My plan was to grab all the ingredients at Whole Foods but after learning they were out of stock on kimchi, I headed to the Asian market where there was an entire section devoted to the product. I had no idea there were so many varieties! And some contain fish, so watch out for that. I ended up going with a mild version of basic kimchi. Adjust your kimchi selection in accordance with your preferred level of heat.
- ½ cantaloupe, small diced
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp. sea salt, or to taste
- 1 head romaine lettuce, rough chopped
- ½ bunch radishes, thin sliced at an angle
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and rough chopped
- 1 9-oz. pkg vegan chicken strips, shredded (recommend Beyond Meat)
- 1 cup prepared kimchi
- 6 flour tortillas
- Begin with the cantaloupe:
- In a small bowl, toss cantaloupe, lime juice, and salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prepare the salad:
- In a medium bowl, toss the lettuce, radishes, and tomato. Set aside.
- For the filling:
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add kimchi and vegetarian chicken. Cook, stirring frequently until kimchi is caramelized and meat is heated through, 5-7 minutes.
- Add salad mixture to the pan and toss to blend.
- To Serve:
- Spoon kimchi/chicken/salad mixture into warmed tortillas. Top with cantaloupe.