Holiday Roasted Sweet Potatoes
The gorgeous pop of color and irresistible flavor combination make these potatoes perfect for the holiday table!
The sweet potatoes of my childhood Thanksgivings were of the traditional Southern-style casserole variety which meant loads of sugar, butter, and, of course, marshmallows. I’m not knocking it but my tastes lean more towards savory these days.
Which brings me to these roasted sweet potatoes…. I wanted sweet potatoes on the table but in a way that was a little different (we already had mashed potatoes and I wanted a different consistency).
So, I tried roasting the potatoes for the first time this year on Thanksgiving and they ended up being one of my favorite sides.
And this Vegan Stuffed Mushroom Dip was easily the most popular appetizer!
Both will definitely be back next year!
Note: For this recipe, I prefer the parmesan finely grated. However, the only vegan parmesan I could find was in long shreds. Easy fix though; I just threw it in a mini chopper and pulsed it a few times.
The irresistible flavor combination of sweet potatoes, garlic, herbs, parmesan make these potatoes perfect for the holiday table!
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes, cut into 1" cubes
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2/3 cups vegan parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- To a large bowl, add sweet potatoes. Into a small bowl, add olive oil, garlic, and thyme. Mix together and then pour over sweet potatoes; toss to coat.
- Onto a parchment lined baking sheet, arrange sweet potatoes in an even layer. Roast 20-30 minutes, or until fork tender, stirring halfway through.
- When the potatoes are out of the oven, sprinkle with parmesan and parsley.
- Serve warm.