Roasted Tempeh and Vegetable Linguine Bowl
If you love sweet and spicy, vibrant and bold, Asian-inspired flavors, have I got a bowlful for you!
Roasted tempeh and turnips, shiitakes and red bell peppers, scallions, cabbage, kale, and radishes… all tossed together in a spicy sriracha hoisin sauce. Oh, and there’s pasta in there, too because #ieatcarbs.
The base of this recipe is simple which makes it super easy to customize with whatever veggies you have on hand. For example, the first step is roasting cubed tempeh and turnips together. Don’t have a turnip in the fridge? No problem; use a potato.
Don’t have kale or cabbage; sub Brussels sprouts. Want to kick up the heat? Top with a drizzle of sriracha sauce.
See what I mean? Super flexible.
I’m not sure if this qualifies as a salad with pasta or a pasta with veggies but either way, it’s all good.
- 1 8-ounce package tempeh, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 medium turnip, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 teaspoon + 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 3/4 teaspoons Chinese 5-Spice blend
- 8 ounces linguine pasta
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, thin sliced
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup kale leaves, rough chopped, stems removed
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, thin sliced with stems removed
- 1/2 cup radishes, halved and thin sliced
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons scallions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons white sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- To a medium bowl, add tempeh and turnips. Add olive oil and Chinese 5-Spice blend; toss to coat. Spread onto a baking sheet and roast 20-25 minutes; until turnips are fork tender.
- Prepare linguine according to package directions. Drain then drizzle lightly with 1 teaspoon olive oil; toss to coat and set aside.
- To a large skillet over medium high heat, add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. When oil is heated, add red bell peppers, red cabbage, and kale leaves.Cook 3 minutes, until vegetables are slightly tender. Add mushrooms and continue cooking another 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add tempeh, turnips, and radishes.
- Stir in hoisin sauce, sriracha sauce, ginger paste. Add linguine and toss well to coat.
- Top with scallions and sesame seeds; serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Green Chef.