Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake
We baked a cake yesterday which is kind of a big deal around here for two reasons:
1) I just don’t do a whole lot of baking in general and 2) when I do bake, it’s almost always some sort of special occasion.
But who says it has to be someone’s birthday or a holiday to make a cake? Not my 6-year old, that’s for sure. She’s slightly obsessed with the cooking show Kids Baking Championship and after finishing another recorded episode she came to me all inspired, “Mama, can we make a cake today?”
I couldn’t think of a reason why not so…
When I said yes to making an impromptu, from-scratch chocolate cake, this girl couldn’t get her apron and chef’s hat on fast enough!
This quick and easy recipe will yield one 8″x8″ cake but if you’re feeling fancy, just double or triple the amounts then pour batter evenly into however many pans for the number of layers you’re going for.
This cake is delicious on it’s own or with just a light dusting of powdered sugar but to make it truly decadent, this is the frosting –> Vegan Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Easy, chocolatey, dairy free deliciousness!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients together then add water, vegetable oil, and vinegar.
- Mix just until blended.
- Pour equal amounts of batter into two prepared 8" round baking pans. Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.