Leek and Potato Soup with Carrots
Leek and potato soup. Whether you add the carrots or don’t (they do add a nice pop of color), you just can’t beat this type of soup, especially on a cold and rainy day like the one we’re having here today.
These are the days are I just want to stay in, light a fire, and lounge around in my thick, fuzzy socks, watching Christmas movies. And when thinking of what to make for dinner, soup just makes sense.
- 1 lb. leeks, white and green parts, chopped
- 2 lbs. potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 32 oz. vegan chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- salt or salt spice blend (we like Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt)
- Italian parsley for garnish (optional)
- cayenne pepper sauce, to taste
- Place leeks, potatoes, and carrots in a large pot. Pour over the broth and water.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook and stir occasionally until vegetables are tender, 20-30 minutes depending on size.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut milk.
- Season to taste with your preferred salt blend and cayenne pepper sauce. Serve warm.
- **For a less-chunky soup, use an immersion blender or regular blender to bring it to your desired texture.