Italian-Style Stuffed Peppers with Spinach and Mushrooms
These are not the stuffed peppers of my childhood – loaded with rice-y ground beef and spaghetti sauce (?).
Today, I present to you a significant upgrade to those old school stuffed peppers.
Here, we’re keeping the rice but replacing the ground beef with hearty mushrooms and throwing in some spinach just for fun. Italian-seasoned Panko bread crumbs add a satisfying crunch and the mozzarella cheese adds the ….well, it adds the cheesiness.
These were inhaled by my family in record time. Enjoy!
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup shallot, chopped
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, rough chopped
- 8 oz. baby spinach leaves, rough chopped
- 2 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice, cooked
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 Tablespoons Italian-seasoned Panko bread crumbs
- 4 medium bell peppers, tops cut off, seeds and membranes removed
- fresh parsley, optional, for garnish
- Note that this recipe includes pre-cooked rice!
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently 2-3 minutes, until vegetables are softened and fragrant. Add spinach and continue cooking another 1-2 minutes, until spinach is wilted.
- Add marinara sauce and pre-cooked rice, stirring gently to combine.
- Remove from heat. Fold in Panko bread crumbs and cheese.
- Fill each hollowed out bell pepper with rice mixture and place in prepared baking dish. Top with additional cheese, if desired.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes.
- Top with extra breadcrumbs and a sprinkling of parsley. Serve warm.