This hearty vegan stew definitely hits the spot on a cool autumn day!
And the recipe is very forgiving so throw in whatever seasonal vegetables you have on hand. I almost always overbuy on potatoes and celery and have found soups and stews to be an easy way to burn through those use-or-lose vegetables taking up space in the fridge.
- 1I Tablespoon olive oil
- /2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, large diced
- 3/4 cup carrots, sliced
- 8 oz. pkg. baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups water
- 2 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, medium diced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 cups green peas
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add onion, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring frequently, 5-6 minutes, or until vegetables are softened and fragrant.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the water, potatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, paprika, and rosemary.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low.
- Cover pot and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, 15-20 minutes, until potatoes and carrots are fork-tender.
- Stir in peas and cook, covered, an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve warm.