Deep Dark Chocolate Brownies with Pomegranate and Sea Salt
I was recently gifted two fantastic ingredients – black onyx cocoa powder and vanilla bean paste. Both of which I had never tried before so had no idea what I was missing out on. The first thing you should know is, I will never buy plain old vanilla extract again. The vanilla bean paste has spoiled me forever on that. Secondly, people are not joking when they say black onyx cocoa absolutely needs to be blended into regular cocoa. It’s that rich.
The pomegranate seeds not only add a nice pop of color but also a lighter contrast in flavors to the intensity of the dark chocolate. And just a little sprinkling of sea salt at the end brings it all together.
1. Preheat oven to 350°
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, both cocoa powders, salt, and vanilla paste.
3. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after adding each.
4. Gradually stir in the flour just until blended.
5. Pour batter into a prepared 8×8 baking dish (batter will be thick!) and top with 1/2c of the pomegranate seeds. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with additional salt and pomegranate seeds.