Crispy Polenta with Mushroom Ragout
My husband and I both recently read the same book on the benefits of a gluten-free diet and decided to give it a try. The results have been positive – I’ve dropped 5 lbs. in the last two weeks (It was 6.5 but I slipped). However, as a vegetarian pasta and bread lover, the switch has been somewhat challenging.
And then I remembered how much I love polenta and the way it satisfies me in a way very similar to that of my beloved pastas and breads.
A few notes about this recipe:
* Before serving, I did pop the polenta rounds in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
* I used vegan butter (it’s the only kind I buy anymore).
* I had big plans to make my own polenta but just ran short on time. And really, the pre-made stuff worked great.
1. Slice polenta into 1″ thick rounds. Begin heating butter and oil in a large skillet over Medium heat.
2. In a small bowl, combine cornmeal, salt, pepper, and parsley. Dredge each round in the cornmeal mixture and add to skillet.
3. Allow polenta to cook 5-10 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Remove any cornmeal residue from the pan.
4. To the skillet, add remaining 2 TBSP olive oil. Saute onions and mushrooms until soft and fragrant.
5. Add garlic, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking and stirring another 2-3 minutes.
6. Pour in the wine and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to Low and simmer approximately 15 minutes.
7. Top polenta rounds with mushroom sauce and serve immediately.