- 1 cup medium-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion diced
- 4 cups vegan chicken-style broth
- 14 ounces black beans rinsed and drained
- 7 ounces diced green chiles with liquid
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
For the rice:
Into a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat, add water and sea salt. Bring to a boil then add the rice. Reduce heat to low then cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, or until rice is tender and the broth is absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside.
For the soup, while the rice is cooking:
Into a soup pot over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add onion, oregano, cumin, and garlic powder.
Cook, stirring frequently for 3 minutes until onion is softened.
Add the chicken-style broth, black beans, diced green chiles. Reduce heat to low then cover and simmer 15 minutes to heat through.
Spoon 1/4 of the cooked rice into each serving bowl.
Ladle 1/4 of the soup into each bowl.
Garnish with cheddar cheese and serve hot.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 176kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 723mg | Potassium: 465mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 603IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 4mg