Saturday Morning Tofu Scramble
I love Saturday mornings at home.
We’re not rushing to get here or there by any specific time and I get to enjoy cooking a big breakfast for everyone.
Before going vegan, these breakfasts were largely egg-based – frittatas, omelettes, quiches – so I thought the days of those type of breakfasts was pretty much over but, it turns out, that is just not the case. Scrambles are so easy and flavorful and I promise you won’t miss the eggs!
The key to achieving a “scrambled egg” texture is taking the time to make sure the tofu is very well-drained.
I used a tofu press the night before for squeezing out the maximum amount of water and then dried the tofu on paper towels before storing in the refrigerator for use in the morning.
Ingredients for Saturday Morning Tofu Scramble:
- olive oil
- yellow onion
- extra firm tofu
- baby spinach
- cremini mushrooms
- red or green bell pepper
How to make Saturday Morning Tofu Scramble:
Want to add a little southwest flair? Add these four Scramble Seasoning spices to Step #3
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. turmeric
Breakfast tacos, anyone? 🙂
More tasty breakfast and brunch favorites:
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 block tofu well drained
- 2 Tablespoons Scramble Seasoning recipe in post
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high. Add onions and cook 3-5 minutes to soften. Add garlic and continue cooking 1-2 minutes more.
- Crumble tofu and add to pan, stirring gently to blend with the onion and garlic. Spread into an even layer and cook, without stirring, until lightly browned, 5-7 minutes.
- Gently stir in Scramble Seasoning and continue cooking 3-5 minutes more.
- Serve warm.