I recently had a craving for a meatball sandwich that just wouldn’t go away. Eventually, there was nothing left to do other than throw all previously made dinner plans out the window and address the situation. It was easy – just grabbed a package of meatless meatballs from the freezer section, some mozzarella, and a bag of sub bread. I thought I was set until I got home and realized I didn’t have any sauce… but then I found a can of tomatoes in the back of the pantry and was back in business.
A word on the meatballs: I used Gardein for this recipe (the fennel-infused flavor is delicious), and found the heating times to be way off. If you’re starting with frozen, there’s just no way they’re going to heat through in just a few minutes. I sped up the process by popping them into the microwave for maybe 2 minutes before adding them to the sauce.
I still eat dairy cheese about half the time and that’s what I used here but obviously vegan mozzarella would work fine.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14- oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano or 1/2 tsp. fresh, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pkg. of 12 meatless meatballs pre-heated
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup mozzarella shredded
- Begin with the sauce:
- In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes, until softened and fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, red pepper flakes, parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring frequently, until heated through.
- Add the meatballs, stirring to thoroughly coat with the sauce and heat through.
- To serve:
- To each split sub roll, add a handful of arugula.